Woman in Soceity

In the Secret Life Of Bee, Women are depicted as the lesser sex of the two. In the opening chapters, Lily and Rosealeen are shown in society as not equal. In Chapter one, Lily witnessed Roesaleen get yelled at and thrown in jail. Along with this incident, she talks about how her father does not treat quite as well as her mother. Lily is definitely a feminist and the book is about these feminist ways. Lily never refers to her dad as dad, but as T. Ray. Woman in the novel are portrayed, in the beginning, as inferior to men. Lily and Rosealeen have to become rebels on the run in order to survive. They break out of jail and hitchhike their way to the woods. This seems to be the beginning of an epic tale of woman in society’s struggle.

5 thoughts on “Woman in Soceity

1. Alex,
    You have identified one conflict within the story. The next step is to determine why the author includes this struggle. Do you think the author is using the relationships in the novel to reaffirm ideas that already exist in our society? Or do you think that the author includes such struggles to critique ideas that already exist in our society? I look forward to your next post.

Mrs. P

2. Hi. we’re required to comment on someone else’s blog, so here it is:

i believe that the fact that you pointed out about T. Ray not treating Lily as well as her mother did is just a fact of instinct. Women are born with a more nurturing and motherly instinct, some women more than others, and men are not (yet some still have more than others) and i believe that T. Ray was one man who was not a nurturing soul, but i don’t think that’s because Lily was a woman. i think the fact that Lily then turned to Rosaleen who helped her on her chosen path (towards finding her mother’s past) shows the strength that can be found in broken women. Lily was broken by T. Ray, and Rosaleen merely by the fact that she had to be so submissive to whites due to the racism of the time. That she calls her father by his given name instead of Dad or Papa or something just reinforces the fact that he will never be much of a parental figure for Lily.

When i read this, i found it to be a very empoweringly feminine novel. Sue Monk Kidd did a fabulous job contrasting feminine characteristics versus male characteristics and using flaws in society to show that it’s not always the woman’s fault that she is not who she wants to be. Sometimes it is the fault of the society or the surrounding influences (such as parents).

3. first, “bone crusher,” i think your last sentence is very….insightful and strong. did it take you a long time to think of it? toucheeeee.

anyways. i actually read this book and really liked it. I agree in that at the beginning of the book women are portrayed as the “lesser sex.” I think when lily and rosaleen meet the three women at the bee farm, women are portrayed as very strong. They are able to support themselves and are just in general seen as very strong (and positive) characters. When I got done reading the book, I felt like the book portrayed women very strong and positively.

-MOLLIE!!!

4. AHHH I’M SO MAD! I JUST POSTED AND IT DELETED IT! AHHH!

ok, well, now i have to redo my post, so here it is:

alex-
    I read this book before and I agree that in the beginning of the story women are portrayed as the “lesser” of the sexes. However, I believe that as the novel progresses they are portrayed as quite the opposite. I think that they are portrayed as the stronger of the sexes. Many of the prominent male characters that are mentioned in the book either seek guidance from the bee women or are portrayed very negatively. Did you find this as you went on to read? When I finished the book I found that women were portrayed in a very positive manner and were definitely not viewed as the lesser of the sexes, although they were portrayed as the lesser of the sexes at the beginning.

-Mollie!

ps: i like your name, “bone crusher”

5. AHHH I’M SO MAD! I JUST POSTED AND IT DELETED IT! AHHH!

alex-

-Mollie!

ps: i like your name, “bone crusher.”